Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Earworm: Learn to Fly

I'm not a big Foo Fighters fan, but I respect them to no end. They have to be one of the hardest-working bands in the business, and Dave Grohl comes across as being a genuinely good guy. I'm just not a big fan of straightforward rock, but if I had to listen to one band in the genre forever, I couldn't get much better than them.

My main thing is that I'm never particularly impressed with their albums as cohesive works, but individual songs are absolute classics. I don't get sick of the singles either (except "Everlong," but that may be my own damn fault), so a greatest-hits album is the perfect choice for me there.

"Learning to Fly" is one of their strongest offerings to date. It still had the excitement that was found on their first three albums, and cemented their legacy in rock-and-roll history. Oh, and Tenacious D is in the video too, back before Jack Black started representing everything that I hated about the school of ADHD acting.

No comments: