Friday, May 13, 2011

Earworm: Bamboo Bones, part 2

Damn. The site was down yesterday and I couldn't see that I had already written about "Bamboo Bones" last year. I would change today's to another Against Me! song, but that would betray the something something something. Here's what should have posted yesterday.

I'm getting older, and will be hitting 35 this year. That's a little to long in the tooth for the middle of the mosh pit unless I want to be unable to move the morning after a concert. I may break a hip, for God's sake.
Last year the Mrs. and I got to see Against Me! in Knoxville. Good concerts are few and far between here, which is a big reason why I miss Minneapolis. Against Me! was definitely one of the best ones that I have seen in my ten years in this city. They played a small place called the Cider House, which is the only time that I have been there. That's because no one else of note has come to town at all. If they do, they play the Valarium, which is next door. Lately it's been nothing but the typical cover bands and cock-rock explosions, and I don't have any desire to see any of those at all.
Against Me! had a dedicated following in the pit, but 20 feet back was wide open. The Mrs. and I appreciated that. They were trying out new material from White Crosses before the album was realeased, and it was a great time. I don't recall if they played "Bamboo Bones" or not, but it's one of my favorite songs on the album. I'm assuming that they'll never come back to Knoxville, so I'll hold onto that memory as long as I can.

No comments: