Friday, May 6, 2011

Earworm: Five Years

Okay, so something possessed me to move from AFT to a My Chemical Romance kick. I loaded up my iPod with their second, third and fourth albums and threw it all on shuffle. As I was getting ready for work this morning, "The End" from The Black Parade came on. It's pretty much "Five Years" by David Bowie with different lyrics and immediately got Bowie stuck in my head. That's fine, since MCR wouldn't exist without David Bowie's theatricality and showmanship.

"Five Years" is the opening track to The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. It is the perfect introduction to an absolutely-perfect album, one from which I knew certain songs but did not know as a cohesive whole until my mid-twenties. I consider that time wasted. Ziggy Stardust is a desert-island album, one that I'm pretty sure I could listen to forever until I died and still be happy with it.



No comments: