Thursday, May 5, 2011

Earworm: In the Air Tonight

Someone at work today suggested that I write about "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins for today's earworm. I swore up and down that I had written about it before. I mean, it's a slow burner that reaches its peak with the greatest use of drums that I have ever heard. Surely in the past year I had to have mentioned it at least once.

Nope.

There isn't much to say outside of that first paragraph. It's one of my favorite songs ever, and has a great urban legend surrounding the subject matter. From what I remember, Phil Collins supposedly wrote it after watching a childhood friend let another friend drown when his life could have been easily saved. Rumor has it that Collins invited his former friend to a concert and shone a spotlight on him while performing the song, singling him out for his tainted past. Apparently the story has no basis in fact at all, but it only escalates the power of the song.

I can normally take or leave both solo Phil Collins and his work with the post-Peter-Gabriel Genesis, but "In the Air Tonight" will get me every time.

No comments: